Message from the Chairman
Welcome. I am glad you have visited our Department of Pathology website. This website offers you information on what the department offers and allows you to learn more about our faculty, academic mission, collaborations and news events.
We are at the forefront in health care; and the premier and oldest pathology departments in the East Africa, comprised of a vibrant academic environment.
Our department has a reputation of excellence in clinical service, research and education. We provide strong diagnostic support for our teaching Hospital, Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) facilities and contribute toward training many undergraduate and postgraduate students in our programmes that includes;
1. BSC in medical laboratory Sciences & Technology (BSC MLST). This is a 4- year undergraduate course taught in Chiromo and Kenyatta Campuses
2. Master in in Pathology (MMED Pathology). This is a master programmed launched in 1985 leading to general pathology degree after three years of study initiated to meet the needs of the country for skilled general pathologists. The curriculum was reviewed and expanded to include molecular pathology and forensic pathology allowing for a four year program.
3. Master of Science in clinical cytology (MSC Clin Cytology). This is a 2 year degree mounted in 1998 and one of its kind within the ECSA region. The popularity continues to grow with increasing demand for cancer for screening cancer services within health care.
4. Masters in Clinical Chemistry (MSC Clin Chem) is a 2- year course launched in 2013. This program was launched to meet demand of expertise in diagnostic Clinical chemistry laboratories within health care.
Our department has graduated over 100 pathologist, 30 Cytologists and 5 Clinical chemistry to date.
While delivering on all of these missions we strive to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
Our Department covers every realm of pathology and laboratory medicine. We have 25 dedicated faculty and 40 employees who run our laboratories. We are proud to be research leaders in Pathology that maintain our ranking as the top institution in Kenya.
Our Department incorporates the divisions of Clinical Chemistry, Immunology, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, Histopathology, Cytopathology and Surgical Pathology
Our department is well poised to practice contemporary pathology, make novel discoveries and offer innovative contributions that will transform the field, as well as train the next generation of pathologists, laboratorians and researchers.
The Department of Pathology seeks to engage in the full spectrum of pathology education, research and clinical services of the highest quality through:
(a) a commitment to excellence
(b) strong clinical collaboration and consultation in patient care
(c) a continuous search for new knowledge
(d) sensitivity to the needs of patients, students, trainees, faculty and the community
(e) the judicious use of resources.
Pursuit of this mission is characterized by a commitment to integrate the full range of perspectives and clinical educational, scholarly efforts that now exist within the Department optimize the unique strengths and expertise of each staff member and creates synergy through aligned goals and efforts.
The Department of Pathology has the following objectives:
• Promote the delivery of clinical diagnostic services in a comprehensive, coordinated and cost-effective manner.
• Pursue basic scientific inquiry into the pathological basis and mechanisms of human diseases
• Educate students and physician trainees to deliver clinical services of the highest quality.
• Facilitate career development of all academic faculty; enable mentoring at all career levels; foster diversity among the faculty, trainees and employees.
• Foster an intellectually-stimulating environment and collegial workplace that promotes broad collaboration across the clinical, educational and research.
I encourage you to reach out to me if you want to join our department and help reshape medicine.
Dr. Peter Maturi Mwamba, MBCHB, MMED, Fellow (Haematology/Oncology), Fellow (Blood Transfusion), Fellow FCPath (ECSA)